Every year gyms are flooded with new members hoping to make this year different. It can be! Whether you have never joined a gym or have slipped out of it in the past, here are a few tips to avoid losing interest and getting results this year from your gym membership.
1. Starter Programs – Sign up with a gym that offers free new member programs. Many gyms understand that by giving away personal training and fitness assessments along with membership, their members are more successful in getting started but also sticking with their programs. If they offer multiple sessions, hold off on booking the second one until the 3rd or 4th week of regular attendance.
2. Try classes – Taking classes helps you create a social network where your fellow classmates may start calling you when you miss and can provide a wonderful workout buddy. It also may help you find what type of fitness feels good to your body. Some people love the intensity of Bootcamp classes or the empowerment from Boxing. Others like the calmness yet effective Yoga or Pilates workouts. The key is finding something you like.
3. Buddy up – Sign up with a friend. Having a partner to support your fitness program can make a difference in your own adherence. Just like the classmates idea above, having a little extra motivation may make the difference in a successful experience.
4. Healthy Dollars - Make your membership cost you pennies instead of dollars. The more time you spend at the gym the less each workout costs. It’s like buying that really expensive outlet that you wear enough times to justify it’s original cost. Simply, take your membership fees and divide them by the number of minutes you spend at the gym. You might find that each minute costs just pennies which is like money in the bank.
5. Sign up at a gym that is open 24 hours a day and 365 days a year - It’s a terrible thought to get up early at 5:00am to find the gym doors don’t open until 6am. There are many affordable gyms today that offer 24 hours service like Anytime Fitness clubs.